PA Forward Star Library Program – Why Be a Part of This Initiative?
Why take our word for it? Hear what our pilot libraries have to say!
Imagine a future where all Pennsylvania public, special, academic and school libraries unite in a shared vision of helping residents succeed as citizens, parents, students, employers, employees and consumers. This is the goal of The Pennsylvania Library Association’s PA Forward initiative.
PA Forward was conceived to give voice to what the library community already knows: With the right support, libraries are ideally positioned to become the community centers of information, technology and learning that will fuel educational and economic opportunity for all of our citizens.
Your library is already participating in this initiative. By offering programs and services such as Story Time, technology workshops, information literacy classes and more, you are promoting the five literacies that are the backbone of PA Forward: Basic Literacy, Information Literacy, Civic and Social Literacy, Health Literacy and Financial Literacy.
By using the PA Forward branding on the programs and services you already offer, you are showing your stakeholders that your library is part of a larger statewide initiative that is powering progress and elevating the quality of life in Pennsylvania. There is influence and credibility in numbers and a shared voice.
You now have the opportunity to be recognized for the work you are doing at your library by earning the PA Forward Star Library designation. Follow the program to complete the necessary actions for each level and follow the instructions for submitting your documentation and you’re on your way to becoming a prestigious PA Forward Star Library!
Brief explanation on how it works:
- Begin by achieving the Bronze Star Level by completing 8 actions
- Why stop at the Bronze Star Level? Earn a Silver Star for demonstrating a specialty in one or more of the five core literacies.
- Once you have earned all five Silver Stars, you are eligible to complete additional actions to receive the highest level of recognition: The PA Forward Gold Star Library.
Here’s how it benefits:
- Unified “voice” in legislative budgeting considerations
- Marketing opportunities for your programs
- Create partnerships
- Future PaLA incentives