PA Forward Star Library Program – FAQ?
What is the PA Forward Star Library Program?
- The PA Forward Star Library Program was created to give recognition to all libraries incorporating PA Forward in the programs and activities that they are already doing. It is designed to help your library be a PA Forward-thinking library.
- More information…
Can the library use past activities and events when completing an action?
- For any activity or program undertaken to complete an action, that activity or program should be documented and the associated action completed on the Star Library website within two months of when it occurred.
It is permissible to “join” actions?
- Yes. For example, Core Actions 1 and 4 (Watch the PA Forward Story Video and Discuss PA Forward at a staff meeting) can be completed in one meeting, thus completing two actions at one time.
Can we repeat bonus actions?
- No. There are sufficient bonus actions listed that you will not have to repeat any in order to complete the level requirements.
How long is a star good before it expires and the library needs to recertify?
- Until December 15, 2019:
- All Bronze Stars will expire after one year. The library will need to start over with the actions at the Bronze level if they have not moved forward to submitting actions toward earning one of the five Silver Literacy Stars.
- All Silver Stars will expire after two years. The library will need to start over with the actions at the bronze level if they have not achieved at least one Silver Literacy Star before the date of expiration.
- All Gold Stars will expire after three years; however, this is contingent upon PaLA membership being maintained. If the library does not maintain membership, they will need to start over at the Bronze level.
- After December 15, 2019:
- All Stars will expire one year after the date they were issued. If a library has not moved on to the next Star level or completed all the actions to Maintain their Gold Star before their expiration date, they will need to start again at the Bronze level. For more information on the Maintaining Your Gold Star process, please see our Maintain Your Gold Star page and our Maintain Your Gold Star FAQ.
How long can the library take to get to the highest level star?
- Once the library signs up for the program, the library has one year to achieve at least the first level, which is the bronze star. Based on the expiration of each star level (see question above), if the library works on the next level during the period of time the current level certificate is good, it could take up to four years to get to the gold level.
Can a group of libraries collaborate to earn a star?
- The PA Forward Star Library Program was created to give recognition to all libraries incorporating PA Forward in the programs and activities that they are doing. While libraries can work together on certain program, each library must complete the Star program individually. If a library does collaborate, this should be noted in any documentation they submit.
Where do I get the PA Forward posters and window clings?
- Contact the PA Forward Project Manager at PAForward@palibraries.org or call 717-766-7663.